Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Personal Planning for Retirement

WORK/LIFE CHANGES APPROACHING?

We so often define ourselves through our jobs that it can be challenging to think about who we will be when we choose change, or circumstances mean that we have to change.
What are we talking about?
When you start out in your career, you spend time and effort making plans, developing ideas to carry you through the years that follow. Making sure you leave nothing to chance regarding decisions which will affect your career. Does that sound like you?
When you are approaching retirement, you have the benefit of experience, knowledge about what works for you, time to develop and fine tune interests you have never had time for, family grown up and maybe even left home, all kinds of opportunities.
But not everyone looks forward to retirement as a positive move. For many people, it is a time of uncertainty, worries about who they are, what will they do, what can they achieve, how will they be identified.
In your working life, you were known as a teacher, accountant, salesman, driver, office worker, nurse etc, you had an identity because of the job you did. But what about during retirement? Who will you be then?
The answer is you can be anyone you chose, because you have the time to develop the skills, take on new interests, learn how to be yourself again.
Look at the following questions/statements; see if you answer a quiet “YES” to any of them:
Am I approaching retirement in the next 2 years?
I am looking forward to it.
Am I concerned about what I will do with myself?
Am I concerned about how to keep my mind active?
Am I dreading the thought of no routine in my life?
Have I always been governed by strict times/bells at work?
Has my career involved other people making decisions for me?
Am I feeling less than confident about retirement?
Do I have concerns that I can’t express to my nearest and dearest?
I have a long term plan which will guide me through my retirement.
Do I need some help to devise plans to develop me into retirement?
Do I see retirement as the end of my life as I know it?
I have someone I can talk to someone about how I feel.

Have you answered a quiet “yes” to any of these questions?
Do you recognise that you need to plan your retirement to get the best out of it?
You have all of the answers you need, but maybe you need some help to put those plans into some kind of order. Retirement is as important as your working life, possibly more so, because you will make the choices about what you do, how you do it, who you are. You have worked all of your life, now work at enjoying your retirement.
We, at Coady Consultants Ltd, offer you the opportunity to work with one of our Personal Coaches who will provide Coaching for Personal Development into Retirement. This will involve working with you to look at the concerns you have, removing barriers, prioritising, planning.
WE ARE NOT FINANCIAL OR LEGAL ADVISORS, we are professionals in our field of personal development.
We can help you to find the answers you need in order to make your retirement a successful one. We can encourage you to develop the thinking, strategies, planning and self awareness which will allow you the opportunity to look retirement in the face and say “I AM PREPARED AND LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.”
Our by-line, as a company is “Working with you to improve”, so, here’s your chance to find out. We can work with you to improve your chances of enjoying the retirement you have worked so hard for.
If you would like further information, please contact us enquiries@coadyconsultants.co.uk

No comments: